While I would love to make or eat an elaborate dessert for Christmas (yule logs or gingerbread houses, to be specific), for now I’m happy with these quick and easy whole wheat cinnamon sugar cookies. They’re just a classic, crumbly cinnamon sugar cookie. I made these post-dinner a few evenings ago – sometimes that’s the best time to get some baking in. It is quiet, clean and more than anything you get to enjoy your baked goodies warm right out of the oven. And of course, the aroma of cinnamon sugar cookies! Better than most fall-scented candles if you ask me. Baking is therapeutic, too; it’s a proven mood-lifter especially in the winter months.
These whole wheat cinnamon sugar cookies require minimal effort and no special preparation, equipment or ingredients. If you plan it right, you can use just one bowl for everything. I went with a classic cookie dough – flour, butter, sugar and an egg. The dough is just adapted slightly from my whole wheat chocolate chip cookies recipe. Mix, stir, spoon, dip in cinnamon sugar, bake, that’s all there is to this. If you love chai spices as much as I do, add a teaspoon of an equal mix of cinnamon, cardamom and cloves to make whole wheat chai spiced cookies instead of plain cinnamon. You can also sub in oat flour if you’d like to make your cookies a little more nutritious (see recipe below for more on that).
What sweet treats are you baking this Christmas? If you make these, I’d love to see how they turn out for you – post a picture and tag me @theindiaedition on Instagram.
- 80g (1/3 cup) butter, softened
- 100g (1/2 cup) castor sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 120g (1 cup) whole wheat flour (substitute in up to 60g oat flour as well)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20g (2-3 tbsp) castor sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Whisk together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and whisk to combine. Add the vanilla extract.
- Combine the whole wheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add this to the mixture and stir until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Spoon the cookie batter, creating 10 balls of dough. Combine castor sugar and cinnamon for topping in a bowl. Roll the cookie dough ball in the cinnamon sugar mix.
- Press down each sugar-rolled dough ball onto a greased baking sheet or silpat. The cookies will spread while baking so leave enough space between each one.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15-18 minutes until lightly browned. Allow the cookies to cool before removing from the sheet.