If you crave something chocolatey for breakfast or a snack with coffee, this chocolate cherry almond granola makes a healthy, simple, vegan and gluten-free treat! Packed with oats, nuts, seeds, dried cherries and of course cacao powder, this granola will become your go-to snack till you run out and have to make another batch.
Unlike most baking projects, one bowl and one pan are all you need for this granola – you won’t feel like you’re making a mess. My only recommendation is using the purest and best cocoa (cacao) powder you can get your hands on, because that’s where that deep dark chocolatey flavor comes from. This granola is lightly sweetened with brown sugar but you can use coconut sugar or maple syrup if you prefer. I used dried cherries as I love the contrast that the sweet-tart flavor real cherries adds. If you don’t have dried cherries, you can use any dried berries or raisins, or opt to eat it with fresh fruit instead. I usually snack on granola plain or add it to my oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast. This chocolate granola recipe keeps for at least 5-7 days if stored in an airtight container.
And if you needed an excuse to eat extra chocolate – Valentine’s Day is coming up! Make this chocolate cherry almond granola for yourself, a friend or a loved one! I’d love to hear your thoughts if you make this – leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @theindiaedition.
- 90g or 1 cup rolled oats
- 40g or ⅓ cup almonds, chopped
- 15g or ⅛ cup sunflower seeds
- 8g or 1 heaped tbsp cocoa powder (use 100% cacao or the results will be watered down)
- 40ml or ~3 tbsp olive oil
- 15ml or ~1 tbsp water
- 25g or ⅛ cup brown sugar
- 30g dried cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the cocoa powder, brown sugar, olive oil, water, vanilla, sea salt and cinnamon. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Add the oats, almonds and sunflower seeds and mix to ensure that they're evenly coated.
- Bake for ~18 minutes at 180C/350F.
- Add in the dried cherries after baking.
- If you store the granola in an air-tight glass container, it keeps well for at least 5-7 days.