I can’t eat the same food everyday – whether it’s basic Indian food or pizza or salads or pasta or whatever it might be. I enjoy eating a different breakfast/lunch/dinner everyday rather than a routine meal. At one point, I had become lazy and was making the same old kale salad every second day, so I created this recipe for an asian-inspired kale salad.
The dressing’s sesame seeds add texture and the ginger adds zing. Of course, both the sesame and ginger have health benefits; sesame seeds are rich in calcium and iron. Ginger aids in digestion and is an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. I use sesame oil by Conscious Food, a great company that specializes in organic oils and spices. They sell at Nature’s Basket and other retailers, as well as via home delivery in Mumbai.
- 5-6 stalks of kale, finely chopped
- ⅓ red pepper, sliced thin
- ⅓ yellow pepper, sliced thin
- ⅓ green pepper, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, shredded
- For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½-1 tsp ginger, per your taste
- A pinch of salt
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together. Toss the kale, peppers and carrot with the dressing.