The third and final post in my summer series is a recipe for these delicious, crunchy tofu veggie lettuce wraps. I was inspired by the classic lettuce wraps at P.F. Changs, an Asian-themed restaurant that is found across the U.S. and now also in other parts of the world.
I used tofu and green beans (which are in season) and complemented them with a ginger-garlic sauce to make the filling for these vegan lettuce wraps. Depending on what’s available and in season near you, you can add more vegetables like carrots, cauliflower and mushrooms. The key to making these wraps manageable and more flavorful is to chop the tofu and veggies into small pieces. This helps to soak up more of the flavor and spices from the sauce. You can also use large spinach leaves (raw or lightly blanched) for this recipe.
I love Asian flavors but sometimes find them difficult to recreate at home with simple ingredients – this recipe uses just a few simple everyday ingredients to pull together a dish with zest and zing. These tofu veggie lettuce wraps make a great appetizer or side to a meal but also work for a healthy evening snack. They’re also vegan, gluten-free and packed with protein. If you give them a shot, do let me know what you think! Leave a comment below or get in touch with me on Instagram @theindiaedition.
- 100g tofu
- 60-70g green beans, chopped approx ¼ inch long (about ½ cup)
- 6 large leaves of lettuce
- ½ inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- A pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- Peanuts, wedges of lime, spring onion to serve (optional)
- To begin, combine the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey, oil and red pepper and set aside for the flavors to marinate for a 5-10 minutes at least.
- Slice the tofu into ¼ inch cubes.
- On medium-low heat, add the green beans and 1-2 tablespoons of water in pan. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the tofu and the ginger-garlic sauce. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until evenly cooked and seasoned.
- Serve immediately, topping the lettuce leaves with the tofu-green bean filling and peanuts, lime and spring onion if desired.