If you’re familiar with the Indian dish Akuri, also known as masala scrambled eggs, you probably wouldn’t be able to guess that the dish in the photo below is made from tofu! The spices, onions and peppers gives this spicy tofu scramble a mild curry flavor and bright yellow color.
I often incorporate tofu into meals that may not usually call for it. Because tofu has a bland but distinct flavor and a range of textures from silken to extra firm, it’s important to allow it to cook through and really take on the flavors you’re going for. Still, this recipe for spicy tofu scramble is quick and easy – I whipped it up in 15 minutes! It’s an easy option for breakfast or a boxed lunch to take to work even if you don’t have much time in the morning. If you prep the chopped veggies, you can cut that time down to 10 minutes or less. If you’re looking for a fast but healthy meal to make for breakfast or lunch, this tofu scramble is the answer. The result is a fresh and light yet nourishing and filling warm meal that’s easy to reheat if you need. I love cilantro, which adds freshness to this dish as a garnish. The tofu quite literally masquerades as eggs from the combination of cumin, paprika and turmeric. The tofu scramble is vegan and gluten-free. And if you really love your spice – add a little grated ginger and one chopped de-seeded green chili or jalapeño to give it some extra heat!
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think by leaving a comment below or on Instagram @theindiaedition. Give it a shot – this bright spicy tofu scramble might just change up your weekday morning routine! I have plenty more tofu recipes on The India Edition, but if you’re looking to add more tofu to your diet and don’t know where to start – this spicy peanut tofu bowl is a classic and one of my favorites.
- 200g tofu, crumbled with your hands (that's the easiest way!)
- ½ medium white/yellow onion, chopped finely
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp paprika or chili powder
- ¼ tsp whole cumin seeds or cumin powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil or other oil of your choice
- 1-2 sprigs of cilantro, chopped (optional)
- For extra spice: ½ tsp grated ginger and 1 chopped de-seeded green chili/jalapeño
- In a pan, add the oil, spices, chopped onion and bell pepper. If you want your tofu scramble extra spicy, add in the ginger and green chili/jalapeno now as well.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Add the crumbled tofu and combine. Allow to cook for another 4-5 minutes, stirring it around occasionally to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Serve warm, sprinkled with chopped cilantro.