My biggest vice is enjoying something sweet with my morning coffee – a little piece of biscotti, a bite of leftover cake, even a piece of nutty chocolate – whatever I have at the moment. I don’t put sugar in my coffee but I make up for it with my coffee pairings I suppose. I came up with this quick healthy french toast recipe a while ago to satisfy my need for a sweet breakfast without too much added sugar.
To me, the best part about this recipe is the naturally sweet flavor that’s brought to life with a sprinkle of cinnamon. The flavor deepens as you cook the french toast. And even better – its health benefits are numerous. You can top it with honey, maple syrup and/or your favorite seasonal fruits. My husband eats it the super healthy way – plain, without any toppings – that’s how good it is! Even if you’re not a cinnamon lover, this recipe works wonders. You can swap in a drop of vanilla essence instead if you like.
Everyone’s rushing in the morning: all you’ve got to do is gather 5 simple ingredients you’ll definitely already have at home and it’s all done in less than 10 minutes. Multi-grain bread (a few days old works great!), one egg, milk, cinnamon and a few drops of olive oil + this foolproof method = naturally sweet and flavorful, delicious, guilt-free, quick, healthy french toast. I promise, waking up to this makes you feel like you’re on vacation breakfasting at one of those healthy-yet-delectably good cafes at a luxury boutique hotel.
A couple of tips while you’re cooking: dip the bread for just a few seconds on each side to avoid getting it too soggy and falling apart, cook on a medium-low flame to avoid undercooking the inside of the bread, and serve immediately when the french toast is fluffy and warm, before it has a chance to deflate!
- 3 slices multigrain bread
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup/125ml milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp olive oil, for coating the pan
- Whisk the egg, milk together till combined.
- Dip a slice of bread, sprinkle with cinnamon, flip over to dip the other side and sprinkle with cinnamon again.
- On medium-low heat, cook the bread for 2-3 minutes till browned. Flip over to cook the other side.
- Be careful not to cook on very high heat as this would cause the bread to undercook from within.
- Enjoy with honey, maple syrup or your choice of fruit or sweetener!
- Makes 3 pieces of french toast.
Or, if you learn better by watching or just enjoy videos, check out my short how-to here: