This past weekend, we had plans to go to Sunday lunch at one of our favorite Italian spots. Naturally, that means consuming a larger-than-usual amount of carbs in various forms from focaccia to pasta to pizza to those delicious ladyfingers nestled between layers of coffee cream in tiramisu. For myself at least, I don’t believe in diets – I believe in balance. Savoring good food and drinks go together with enjoying the company of friends and family. I find ways to create balance in my life: if I know I’m going to be going out for meals several times in a particular week, I’ll try to plan my other meals accordingly. It doesn’t always work out but I can at least try, right? I had a batch of fresh, organic rocket leaves I chanced upon the previous evening at the grocery store so I decided to use those to make a quick breakfast salad.
I chose to use avocado, rocket leaves and a “fried” egg (cooked in very little oil) topped with some crushed red pepper. Avocado is finally in season in India, which means the quality is much better than usual but still not exactly what you get in other parts of the world. With this combination, you don’t really need much else or additional oils and dressings. I’ll share my how-to for that below but also give you a couple of other ideas. Use whatever leaves you have on hand – spinach, kale, mixed greens, even parsley would work. A couple of other quick topping combination ideas I think might work well on a bed of salad greens paired with an egg cooked your favorite way:
- feta, pomegranate and tahini for a Middle Eastern idea
- cooked chickpeas, za’atar and paprika for another Mediterranean twist
- cooked kidney beans, tomato, onion, cilantro for a Mexican flavor
I’d love to hear what you think of this and how you make your breakfast salad! Leave me a comment below or tag me on Instagram @theindiaedition. More of my healthy eating tips here.
- 1 handful or 25g rocket leaves
- ⅓ or 40-50g avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- In a skillet on low heat, add the olive oil. Crack the egg onto the pan. Allow to cook 2-3 minutes until set from the bottom. Flip egg and cook 1-2 minutes more. Alternatively for a runny yolk or sunny side up, do not flip, instead cover and allow to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Spread rocket leaves on plate. Top with avocado, eggs, salt and crushed red pepper.