When it comes to breakfast, I’m a creature of habit – it’s either fried eggs with a piece of multigrain toast or cinnamon-walnut oats. Every once in a while I get bored of these two options and come up with something new. Last year I had this obsession with french toast. My newest breakfast/brunchy recipe is a pesto quinoa breakfast bowl. Yes, I’ve been riding the quinoa wave for a while now if you’ve been following me. I put it in everything and I don’t think it’s ever going to get old. For proof, see my easy spinach quinoa recipe that tastes just like spanakopita.
To me, the best part about this recipe is that everything can be prepped before hand, all you have to do is scramble the eggs and the other ingredients together in the morning. And if you’re one of those people who just rushes out the door in the morning, you can make this for lunch or dinner too. Pesto is one of those things I like to have around in my freezer – make it the day you get a good bunch of basil, portion it into small containers, cover tightly and freeze. I usually make a batch of quinoa one evening and refrigerate it to use in the next 3-4 days. Sadly our weather in India doesn’t permit keeping things prepped in the fridge for longer than that.
This pesto quinoa breakfast bowl is naturally gluten-free. Skip your usual toast and fill up on healthy proteins and whole grains instead!
- 40g dry quinoa, rinsed and cooked
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp olive oil or butter
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes or 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 packet (about 1 cup packed) basil leaves
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, almonds or walnuts
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- Salt, to taste
- In a pan, scramble the eggs in olive oil or butter.
- When they are almost done, add in the quinoa and cherry tomatoes and sauté.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with pesto. Top with salt and pepper as needed.
- Freeze the leftover pesto for future use.