Running out of good, easy, healthy meal options and feeling uninspired? Me too. This has come to my rescue. It’s filled with greens, herbs and olives, so it’s far from boring (which sometimes happens with a wrap or sandwich, especially one without cheese). The herb flavors in this mediterranean wrap take centerstage with the combination of fresh parsley, mint, thyme and olives.
Instead of a store-bought wrap, I used a roti made with finger millet (nachni/ragi as it is known as locally) and a little whole wheat flour. My family has pretty much converted to eating these rotis in lieu of regular whole wheat rotis when it comes to Indian food. When I sent my sister a photo of this meal, her first question was whether I took the time to make pita bread myself or was that a nachni roti!? We laughed but I’m not ashamed or embarrassed – why bother with a store-bought refined flour tortilla wrap packed with preservatives when you have rotis in India? Either way, you can use any wrap or roti you like or make a sandwich with multigrain bread as well.
The ingredients for this healthy mediterranean salad wrap are simple but meld together to make a delicious desk lunch or quick dinner. The tahini dressing is zesty and adds the silky texture that you’d miss otherwise. I like to use yogurt but it’s easily made vegan friendly by using either coconut yogurt or almond milk. If there’s one thing that’s imperative for this recipe, it’s the olives – don’t skip them! This mediterranean sandwich is a balanced meal when paired with some hummus or a side of veggies and yogurt (it’s a little light on its own). I’d love to hear how you make it your way – leave a comment here or on Instagram @theindiaedition!
- 2-3 wraps or 5-6 slices multigrain bread
- 20g or a large handful of rocket leaves (arugula)
- 1 large tomato, sliced round
- 15g or approx a handful of chopped parsley
- 6-8 fresh sprigs of mint, chopped
- 4-5 fresh sprigs of thyme (chopped) or ⅓ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp za'atar (optional)
- 12-15 mixed olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp yogurt or coconut yogurt or almond milk if vegan
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Just a pinch of lemon zest (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping: chopped parsley, mint, thyme, za'atar and olives.
- Separately, combine the ingredients the dressing: tahini, evoo, yogurt/coconut yogurt/almond milk, oregano, salt, pepper and lemon zest if using.
- Assemble the wrap or sandwich: heat the wrap on a low flame or toast the bread if you like. Start by layering the rocket leaves, followed by tomatoes, the topping and finally the dressing. Serve immediately.