Zucchini’s mild flavor makes it a prime candidate for including it (or for some, hiding it) in cakes, muffins and sweet breads. It takes on the other flavors that it’s paired with beautifully and in turn shares its juicy qualities to make a rich, moist and soft texture. These healthy zucchini chocolate oat muffins wrap up good-for-you ingredients like oat flour, yogurt, cocoa and zucchini into a super chocolatey package.
Making these double chocolate breakfast muffins couldn’t be easier – in fact, the only “work” would be grating the zucchini and grinding up oats into oat flour if you don’t already have a jar of it in your pantry. They are naturally gluten-free and use just the right amount of brown sugar for a light sweetness that isn’t overwhelming. If you’re like me and enjoy a little sweet treat with your coffee but are always trying to find ways to make that healthier, this one is for you! I also have a number of other dessert recipes that use oat flour instead of or along with all-purpose/whole wheat flour – just look under Desserts in the archive. If you try making this recipe for healthy zucchini chocolate oat muffins, I’d love to know what you think – leave a comment below or get in touch with me on Instagram @theindiaedition.
- 2 eggs
- 70g or ¼ cup greek yogurt (or regular yogurt hung for 8+ hours)
- 150g or ¾ cup brown sugar
- 100g or 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20g cocoa powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or powder
- 100g dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 100g zucchini, grated
- Beat the eggs, greek yogurt and brown sugar until combined and fluffy - about 3 minutes.
- Separately, whisk together the oat flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and sea salt.
- Add this flour-cocoa mix and vanilla into the wet mixture, folding until combined.
- Add the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into a cupcake pan, greased with olive oil or lined with cupcake liners.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes at 180C or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- These muffins stay good for 3-4 days if stored in the refrigerator.