Helloooo, summer! Yes, it’s April and the temperatures are at 40C in Calcutta. I’m not excited about May at all, you’ll likely find me hiding in my home office in the air conditioning. Anyway – one good thing about the summer is that it’s sangria season. This easy white wine sangria with zero added sugar will become your go-to because you don’t need much to make it – just a good white wine and a handful of fruits. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible as much as adding cointreau, etc. can really enhance the flavor.
For this quick recipe, using seasonal fruits works best. Cantaloupe (also commonly known as muskmelon) is a must – it’s juicy, sweet and in season. Here in India, the strawberry season is too short and I missed making this recipe in the winter months. I wish we had access to more kinds of berries here in India – sadly we have no local blueberries and the imported blueberries available here are so ridiculously expensive that you just don’t end up using them on a regular basis. If you live outside of India and can find blueberries or strawberries easily, I’d highly recommend substituting them in for the grapes!
- 750ml (1 bottle) white wine
- 180g cantaloupe
- 120g green and black grapes, halved, plus 10-12 whole to garnish
- 100ml soda (optional)
- Long toothpicks, to garnish
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Allow the flavors to combine for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled, with a few pieces of melon and grapes on a toothpick topped with a few mint leaves.