I’ve been meaning to share this recipe for easy healthy baked fries for a long time, but on the brighter side I have successfully tested it several times so you can be sure that this method will work! I’m really not much of a potato person; the only potato-based dish I really enjoy is french fries. Still, I try not to make a habit of it and instead make them a special treat I enjoy on vacation. This healthier version of baked fries makes it a possibility to enjoy the same delicious flavors and textures of french fries minus all the guilt and fat.
Everyone loves french fries but these baked french fries make for a healthy, guilt-free spin on the classic. They’re crisp on the outside but soft on the inside, just like we’re used to with regular french fries. You can dress them up however you like: a sprinkle of salt, paprika, or even truffle oil and super finely chopped parsley. They hit the spot when all you want is a savory treat or some fries to go with your veggie burger or sandwich! You don’t need any special equipment like an air-fryer for this – just a simple old oven and aluminum foil. The only adjustments might be in the cooking time depending on your oven. I use the special “chips” potato or Bhutani potato for best results (just ask for chips potato at your local market or grocery store) but regular ones will work just fine too. If you love these as much as I do, leave me a comment below or post a picture on Instagram and tag me @theindiaedition!
- 210g potatoes
- 1½ - 2 tbsp oil
- 1 heaped tbsp cornstarch (corn flour)
- Salt, paprika, truffle oil, chopped parsley, etc. to top
- Peel and cut the potatoes into wedges of your desired size. Coat them with the oil and cornstarch.
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- In a nonstick pan on medium-low heat, cook the potatoes for 5 minutes, stirring them around.
- Transfer the potato wedges onto aluminum foil. Place this foil on your wire rack and bake for 20 minutes or until browned and fully cooked.
- Sprinkle with salt or other seasoning and serve immediately.