The moment I received a carton full of fresh, juicy oranges straight from the orchards of Nagpur, I knew exactly what I was going to use the first few fruits for – this chocolate orange almond olive oil cake (phew!). Orange and chocolate together make a classic combination, but that flavor is even more nuanced when paired with almonds and olive oil in this moist, delicious cake that is gluten-free and dairy-free if you use non-dairy milk and chocolate. Serve it anytime you like – it’s the ideal tea or coffee cake but can also be served warm with ice cream or a dollop of fresh cream for a post-meal dessert.
I wanted to make a cake that used lots of orange juice to get that perfect texture – a couple tablespoons didn’t satisfy me, so I used the juice of two full oranges that came up to about 80ml. The recipe uses minimal added sugar as the cake is naturally sweetened with the use of orange juice. As a result, this cake needs to be stored in the fridge or you might find the sweet sticky juice separating from the cake after sitting out for a day. I’d also recommend using a good spring-form pan or ensuring you grease your pan extra well (or use parchment paper at the bottom) to make it easier to lift the cake out once it’s baked and cooled. All ovens behave differently, so check your cake at the 30-35 minute mark and bake for a shorter or longer time as needed.
There’s nothing in the world that can bring the happiness that a freshly baked slice of cake does! This one is my new favorite and I can’t wait to make it again. If you make this chocolate orange almond olive oil cake, let me know what you think in the comments below or reach out to me on Instagram @theindiaedition.
- 200g or 2 cups almond meal
- 80g or approx. ⅓ cup caster sugar (i.e. fine granulated sugar)
- 80ml or ⅓ cup olive oil, plus 1 tbsp for greasing pan
- 80 ml or ⅓ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 eggs
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 35g or 1¼ oz dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 60ml or ¼ cup milk of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp baking soda
- A pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 175C.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, olive oil and orange juice. Add the zest and vanilla.
- Separately, on medium-low heat, whisk the milk, cocoa powder and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Whisk the baking soda into the almond meal.
- Now, add the chocolate mixture to the large bowl with the eggs. Combine and add the almond meal mixture, folding it in until just combined.
- Bake in an 8-9 inch pan at 175C for 40 mins or until a toothpick/knife comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely before removing it from the pan to avoid any crumbling. Store in the fridge as the cake is very moist due to the high juice content.
This chocolate orange almond olive oil cake recipe is adapted from Living Tastefully’s beautiful recipe which you can find here.